Poker Strategy Guide – Pro Poker Tips and Strategies
Mastering poker strategy offers a path to financial freedom like no other strategy game can. How quickly you become a poker pro directly depends on the quality of the poker strategies you learn. Here is a curated and regularly updated collection of essential poker tips and strategies organized by skill level.
Enter your email on the right if you would like to get notified when I post new poker strategy articles (usually once a week). And leave a comment below if you have a desired topic that is not listed.
Texas Holdem Strategy for Beginners
- Best Sites for 2016 – the first step of course is to figure out where to play. This guide provides an in-depth analysis of who has the softest games, best software, most lucrative deals, and more.
- How to Study Poker – prep yourself to get the most out of your study efforts with some key poker tips on how to study most effectively.
- Self discipline – for your next step consider improving your self discipline. This will ensure you get the most out of all of your other efforts.
- Gaining wisdom – in preparation for optimal learning, take a moment to reflect on the process of gaining wisdom itself.
- Perfect poker practice – not sure how to study poker? This will get you started.
- How to beat the fish – to move beyond the status of “recreational poker player” study these 10 tips on how to maximize your profits against the fish.
- 5 trick plays that work – are you still struggling to win or move beyond the break-even mark? These 5 plays will help you boost your win-rate.
Intermediate Poker Strategy
- Hand Ranges – advancing from “what poker hand does he have?” to “what poker HANDS does he have?” is a key milestone in any budding poker pro’s development.
- Quality over quantity – the key to breaking out of auto-pilot and launching your game to the next level is to shift your focus from playing as many poker hands as possible to playing the highest quality poker hands possible.
- Common poker leaks – discussing blind defense, continuation betting and other poker strategy topics, this article addresses some of the most common poker leaks I notice in players that come to me for poker coaching.
- Overcoming tilt – for many, tilt can represent the biggest of all poker leaks. This article offers a powerful technique for reducing stress and managing tilt.
- Reliable poker stats – before you can master your HUD, you need understand which of your poker stats you can trust given your sample size.
- Increase your red line – moving from the intermediate level to advanced usually requires you fix your red line. This poker strategy article explains how.
- Understanding Poker Variance – when can you trust your win-rate? I explain how many hands are required to be 95% confident.
Advanced Online Poker Strategy
- Poker coaching – the single greatest contributor to my own success as a poker pro was getting coached. Here are some tips on getting the most out of poker coaching.
- Competitive analysis – next to getting coached, I can attribute this activity to having the biggest impact on my own success. Let me share some techniques.
- The leveling game – to have a better chance at out-leveling your opponent, avoid these two common mistakes.
- How to Bluff Better – the secret? Opt for blocker and blocking cards when you bluff.
- GTO poker vs. Exploitative play – Completely mastering poker strategy requires a thorough understanding of GTO poker, exploitable play, and when to use each strategy.
- GTO poker made easy – Game theory optimal play doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are 3 simple techniques for you to start using now.
Other Highly Recommended Resources
- Red Chip Poker – they have a great selection of coaches and videos. I make strategy videos for them as well. This specific link will take you to a podcast on How to Study.
- Poker Market – a great community. Here, you can buy and sell stakes for tournaments (I list mine here). And also buy instructional videos for competitive rates.
- Deuces Cracked – another great instructional video site with a HUGE library. I’ve learned so much from these guys over the years.
- My Poker Tips Twitch Channel – you can go back and watch old videos I’ve recorded of my live sessions. I explain my thought process as I go. A great free source for poker instruction.
Do you prefer poker videos over poker strategy articles? Check out my 8-part video series on the essential fundamentals of poker.